Minivan confessional

Hi, my name is Jess and I…uh…drive a minivan.

(Hello, Jess.)

When I first got married, I vowed to never get a minivan. In fact, I went so far as to tell my hubby that if I ever suggested it, he had my permission to give me a brisk slap across the face to bring me back to my senses.

What turned the tide was the birth of our third child. After a month, we both had bloody knuckles from clicking our crew into three car seats wedged in the back of our stylish, yet ridiculously impractical sedan. In the end, there was no face slapping – it was a quiet surrender.

I remember pulling into the parking lot at work with my new "vehicle". (I didn't know what to call it - it wasn't a car or truck and I couldn't say the m-word without feeling sick.) A co-worker (a woman much older than I) commented on what a nice minivan I had – Was it new? Could the seats fold down flat into the floor?

Instead of proudly talking about its keyless entry or the DVD player, I lowered my head and mumbled something about not being sure if it was...me.

She patted my hand and said, "You know, your days of cruising for boys are over." To which a witty bystander (this one much younger than I) interjected,

"But if you wanted to, you could seat 6 of them comfortably."

Eventually I got over the shame of driving my minivan, but remained fiercely defensive anytime anyone accused me of being a "soccer mom". To this day, I immediately shoot a scathing look and denounce the accusation.

"I'm hip and trendy,” I say. “I make this van work!"

But now, nearly 3 years later, as a single gal, I’m finding myself feeling embarrassed again. Lately I feel frumpy and extremely uncool when I get behind the wheel.

But why? Am I embarrassed by my status as a mom? Heck no. Not at all. I guess I just want others to perceive me as the cool mom I feel I am. And a minivan doesn’t exactly make one look cool.

So what's a gal to do? Give up the van?

In my case, my sense of practicality outweighs my vanity. I need the extra seating. I like being able to toss kids and bikes inside at a moment’s notice. And above all else, when the kids start to bicker about who’s sitting where, I love that DVD player!

Nah, for now, I’m keeping the van. I might not look like a cool mom on the outside, but that’s okay. I’ll just crank up my music and dream about that little red hatchback in my future. Though…now that I think about it, a 2-door coupe won’t have the legroom of, say a Grand Caravan.

You know, for all those boys.

4 comments:

Kelly said...

Perhaps we can arrange a trade. I am a mom who finds herself still stuck in her very single-girl, very fun red sports car. Back in the day, it turned the boys heads! Nowadays it generally leads to lumps on my toddler's head as I try to stuff him into his car seat (the sporty hatchback looks nice, but is not so practical when the top of the carseat touches the roof of the car). I propose that you take the sports car off my hands, let your kiddos enjoy the comforts of the tiny back seat (the close contact will foster togetherness and cooperation I'm sure) and my little guy can stretch his legs in your fabulous, spacious, luxurious minivan. I'm so jealous you have a minivan.

I guess the grass is always greener!

Mom of Two said...

I am not looking forward to the day I have to get a minivan. I always said I would never get one, but more & more friends are getting them and love them (who also swore they never would). I would like the better gas mileage it offers over my gas-guzzler.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE my minivan! I drive it proudly, all the while reveling in the luxury and superior head, shoulder, leg and - heck, all over - room it provides. Even my husband loves it, and he used to HATE minivans with a burning passion.

We went with a Honda Odyssey EX-L: Leather, sunroof, 6-disc in-dash CD changer, heated seats, fold down third row... I work it all, love it all, would surely perish without it all!

I say that because not only do I need to tool around town in my mommy-van, but we also travel long distances to see family several times a year, and we have a 4yo and a 12yo. So the more room we can give them - and ourselves - on those 8-hour journeys, the better.

And, heck, I'm okay being a soccer mom. Bring it on! :)

Momfluential said...

Strap a surfboard (or snowboard depending on your locale) on top of that minivan and pick up some buff looking man candy (surfer or snowboarder) to ride around in the passenger seat and you will surely be the envy of all moms in the carpool line AND all women looking for a hot date. Before you know it they will all be at the Honda dealership begging for an Odyssey of their own and you will be hip and still able to get your kids around in comfort AND style